Saturday, November 10, 2012

In the End....



Good 'ol Rosie
We've come to my final blog post. At the beginning of this project, I wondered why there seems to be such a huge decline in chivalry as a whole. What made it run screaming back to the last century? Lazy guys, a lack of traditional manners lessons from parents? Then I thought that maybe the cause was a single parent issue.

As it turns out, the cause seems to be none of the above. Partway through the research, I discovered two things: there's not a wealth of information out there on the subject, and the information that is available suggests that feminism did away with chivalry. It was a bit of an a-ha moment for me, because it does make perfect sense. Ironically, the blog that set out to figure out why women don't see a bunch of guys going out of their way for their comfort and welfare anymore turned out to be a blog about how we screwed that up for 40 years straight.

I've asked my own fella his thoughts on this. I gave him a choice: did chivalry spasm out and flat-line because the young man is a self absorbed lazy creature with no real influences left with which to learn from? Or, did women decide that feminism was a point to be proven, not realizing that men would dump us in the dust for fear of losing a limb?
He responded: "It died in part with feminism. But I don't think it's completely gone; it's very situational. But ya, you guys beat it into us for so long, if I see a woman struggling with something I'll help - unless she's powering down the sidewalk on a mission with a death look in her eyes. Then I cross the street!"

It's funny how many how many theories I went through before I rested on my own gender as the responsible party. I can totally see it though - millions of women saw an opportunity with the influx of their presence in the workplace to assert themselves elsewhere. An "I can do it myself" and "I don't need a man" initiative was launched to cut the ties between the perceptions of the time. One of my sources for this post was a survey I presented on Facebook.(Survey) Of the responses, an overwhelming number agrees that feminism did indeed kill chivalry, although not an intended casualty. You can see the survey results below. Feel free to take it, and see the results when you're done!


My Survey 

My second source is my absolute favorite in this project. It sums up what I have been thinking, and that is: Do women really want to sacrifice the pleasures of someone taking care of them for an illusion of equality? Equal by whose definition? And for how long?
The periodical is written by Kathleen Parker for Newsweek. (Parker) It goes deeper on the issue, suggesting that women have had it all wrong for decades, and "instead of trying to be equal to men, we've been trying to be men. Like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole." (Parker) She also talks about a trip she was on in Abu Dhabi, where she met with middle eastern women who told her that it seems that American women enjoy being women less than they do. There's an eye opener.


I'm a sort of feminist myself, where workplace is concerned. Not the "I am woman hear me roar" type, but I spent a lot of years in a male dominated job. A few saw my presence as nothing more than changing society, others would verbalize their outrage at such a stupid thing. I called it the sudden death of the good-ol-boys club. Eventually we would all be friends, because my mission wasn't to prove that I could do what they do, it was to have the opportunity to do what I loved; if they would have me. It's all about attitude.

For one department I was hired into, I was their first female firefighter.
That was a nervous first shift for sure - 18 men from barely shaving to silver scruff looked silently down the truck bay at me that first morning, while I made the longest walk of my life 200 feet to the time clock. Turns out the chief had told them the new guy was starting that morning. He failed to mention the new guy was a girl. Oh, the phones must have been blowing up all day....

Turns out we had a great time on our shift together. They taught me how to rope a fire hydrant from a moving wheelie-chair between fires and heart attacks, and I taught them to bake. That was Oklahoma 12 years ago, and I still keep in contact with a lot of them now. New Guy Acceptance Mission: Accomplished.

I really think that we as women need to re-think how we view independence. Of course we all want to be seen as the smart, capable little things that we are, but a bit of Fred Astaire never killed a girl.  I'm the epitome of women doing things women don't do, yet I absolutely love when my husband opens the car door for me, pulls out my chair, and insists on carrying everything. He's a good catch - the genuine article, a Fred Astaire. Can't we have our own identity and still enjoy a little good ol' fashioned chivalry? Yes, Please!


We also don't need to be this
We don't need to be this














Sources:
-Survey. "Do you think that the feminist movement starting in the 1970's contributed to the decline and eventual death of chivalry?"  created at SurveyMonkey.com. Web. Amy Grice. 2012

-Parker, Kathleen. "Born again Feminism." Newsweek. 00289604, Vol. 157, Issue 11. Web. 14Mar2011
The New Rosie

14 comments:

  1. I have not had the pleasure of reading your blog in a while, it has come a long way since the first post. You are PRO at this blogging by the way, I love it!

    NOW, talk about full circle, blaming men to blaming women. Of course maybe there is not blame to be had, times change people change, and what we "need" changes. A girl would be lying if she did not like a door opened for her or, something carried to our cars. However that is not a "need" its flattery really, it is no longer Chivalry. Yes the women of the now are different, but so are the men. I saw something on Pinterest, half the photo was Clark Gable, and the other half "THE Situation" (from Jersey Shore) and the quote at the bottom stated," MEN..... What happened to them?" And it could not be more right and more wrong. Yes perhaps men do not wear dinner jackets and smoke cigars (thankfully) and swoon women, but some are still the essence of that romance. The same could be said about women though don't you think? Look at Jackie O and Snooki. Extremes maybe, but a difference none the less. People just have different mind sets now, different priorities. And in general, in our society PEOPLE are not very good to each other. Next time a man fails to hold a door open for you, while your hands are full, just think.... Did he get a bad Facebook post today? Silly I know, but again times change, people change, and needs change. GREAT BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feminism and chivalry can exist together in our present time. I think women need to set a higher expectation of what they want. Men back in the days were required to court a woman meet her parents before they even went out on a date. Why is it diffrent now? Men are no longer required to try to be chivalrious. If women want the ways of old back then they must begin to recconect with their roots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alise, and I agree; times really are different. Not for the good... but different. The next time anyone doesn't grab the door when my hands are full, I'll probably blow up in their face. At least it'll make me feel better. :) It really shouldn't be a male/female thing-but a people thing.

    Richard - Feminism and chivalry CAN exist together. But I don't necessarily think that women need to set a higher expectation. Those have never changed...they're the same as they were fifty years ago. Women do not need to reconnect with their roots, so much as people need to try and remember that common courtesies are not optional.

    The extreme feminists who wrecked chivalry and demonstrated to men that we don't want/need them are to blame here, not women in general. Instead of women reconnecting with their roots, I think the solution is to take a time-out to retrain our kids. We can reverse the whole respect definition in our society very easily; we teach our girls that if they act like a lady, they will be treated like one. We teach our boys that they are to respect girls, always.

    Lol - maybe we're old fashioned, but if my husband saw a boy slam a door in our teenage daughter's face, there would be quite a scene, and it would mark the last time that kid ever saw her. (i.e. "OMG Daddy, don't embarrass me!") Likewise, if we saw our sons disrespecting a girl, he and dad would have a little "conversation" regarding his role in not being a turd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read your posts with continuing interest and this one really smacked me upside the head. I don't know if chivalry is dead, I think there are still enough "old fashioned" people around who have taught their sons and daughters chivalrous things. It makes perfect sense that men have been shoved aside and told no enough by women that they don't go out of their way to be gentlemanly any more. Isn't that ultimately what women wanted? For them to learn? It looks like they have, and it's still women who are complaining about it. In my opinion it never hurts to be kind, and it shouldn't be about male or female. If you see someone that needs help with a door, open it, or hold it open. I still try to walk on the inside of the sidewalk when I walk with my husband, because that's how I was taught to behave by my grandfather. I don't shove my husband to the outside, I just switch where I'm walking. If I want him to open the door for me, I usually ask, though I don't have to ask often any more. It's become second nature. If I get to the door first I usually open it and walk in, holding it so it doesn't smack him in the head. If he gets there first, he opens it. Within couples, I think it's more about communication. Don't assume. If a woman likes certain chivalrous behaviors, she needs to talk to her man about them, not just get pissy and resentful if he doesn't automatically do them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Just like everyone has been saying - it's about being polite. Male or female.

      Delete
  5. I like how you used your husband as a source on this topic. I think that adds a nice personal touch to it. You definitely inspire thinking in your writing. I began to wonder how I thought about the subject, as I was reading. Personally I will always open a door for a woman. However, sometimes I might hold back on a "chivalrous gesture" simply because I don't believe that women today, want to be treated the same as a woman did in say.. the 50's. Today's women are much more independent and confident I am careful to avoid insult by being "old fashioned".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old fashioned is good. When was the last time people were kind to each other in America?? The '50's. Sad, but true. It's pretty much been downhill from there. In an effort for many groups to try to accomplish many things - we've become a cold, uncaring society. And i can't really think of a woman alive that would feel offended by a man doing something that used to be called chivalry and now is known as respect. Or a man,for that matter. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed reading your post, and think it's awesome that you did a survey on face book. I think Richard is right when he says "Feminism and chivalry can exist together". Girls do need to make their expectations more clear. Your husband seems to have good insight on this matter.
    I personally think both parties are to blame,we can still be strong woman, expect the opposite gender to respect that. Keeping in mind that we need to show our appreciation when a guy goes out of his way to be a gentleman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megs, Yep! I agree - a guy that resembles those old fashioned kinds are rare gems who need to be thanked.

      Delete
  7. I love this blog!! I wish I was as creative as you. This looks great. You have obviously done your research and I think you are definetly on the right track. I am very impressed that you thoought of feminism as the reason why men can't do things for women anymore. I never would have thought of that. I was raised in the south and my grandmother felt very strongly about men being gentlemen and taught my brothers this. They are very good with women and help when ever they see fit. Who would have thought that it was us that broughton this change. It makes sense but I have to sgree with Richard that "feminism and chilvary can live together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind! I really just accidentally discovered the whole feminism theory. It really just made sense. If the tables were turned, and the men of the world had demanded to be treated more..."manly" in the '70's, they might be whining now because women treat them all like girlfriends. Haha. The thought makes me laugh, really.
      Richard is right; they can co-exist.

      Delete
  8. You are so creative! and I love the idea of a survey! This has been one of my favorite blogs out of the bunch. I am very feminist like and always want to be apart of the fight for our rights. I am one of those women who does not need a man to help them do anything, and when I walk through the door I get angry that it wasn't held open for me! I now see how it really is by reading your blog and understanding the information you brought forth. I can see how frustrating it is for a man to help a women when we change out minds every minute. I don't think chivalry is dead so much as times have changed. There are a few great men who help a lady, and then there are a few great ladies who don't need men!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I too am all for "girl power",but it doesn't have to mean that we completely lose any traditional respect for one another. Crazy how "Feminism" completely dumped on all things feminine...

      Delete
  9. Richard: Looks like you have some fans! Unanimous agreement on your post, my friend. Wish I had a prize or something around here...

    Thanks everyone for reading and posting!

    ReplyDelete